There are not a whole lot of positive things to say about tonight’s running. I’m really not enjoying this. The email sent out during the week lets us know what’s ahead for Wednesday night interval training. “3 sets of 4 x 400m with 30secs standing recovery between each 400m (1 lap) and a 400m recovery between each set of 4”. And that’s what I set myself up for. So how is it I always seem to forget about the 2km warm-up?!!! By the end of the warm-up, I’ve usually had more than enough. I’m also aware that my negative attitude isn’t making getting around the track any easier. Plus it's far too hot and humid...
The one good thing I can take away from tonight, is the talk given by the coach on posture and form. I knew that I should tune into this as my posture is so bad and it’s obviously responsible for my neck and shoulder pains. I have to pretend that I’m being held up by strings like a puppet. I have to keep my head up (the other coach, Mike advised to wear a cap low over our eyebrows so it would force us to lift our heads).
Most importantly I have to be more aware of what part of my feet I’m running on. I’m what the professionals would refer to as an ‘over-pronator’. I found this out at the weekend when I went to buy new running shoes. The foot specialist videoed me walking and running to show me how I am putting all my body weight on the inside of my foot and thus causing too much stress on my knees and hips. Who would have guessed!
The positive outcome from tonight? No blisters. The new running shoes were worth the investment!
"No doubt a brain and some shoes are essential for marathon success, although if it comes down to a choice, pick the shoes. More people finish marathons with no brains than with no shoes."
Don Kardong
The one good thing I can take away from tonight, is the talk given by the coach on posture and form. I knew that I should tune into this as my posture is so bad and it’s obviously responsible for my neck and shoulder pains. I have to pretend that I’m being held up by strings like a puppet. I have to keep my head up (the other coach, Mike advised to wear a cap low over our eyebrows so it would force us to lift our heads).
Most importantly I have to be more aware of what part of my feet I’m running on. I’m what the professionals would refer to as an ‘over-pronator’. I found this out at the weekend when I went to buy new running shoes. The foot specialist videoed me walking and running to show me how I am putting all my body weight on the inside of my foot and thus causing too much stress on my knees and hips. Who would have guessed!
The positive outcome from tonight? No blisters. The new running shoes were worth the investment!
"No doubt a brain and some shoes are essential for marathon success, although if it comes down to a choice, pick the shoes. More people finish marathons with no brains than with no shoes."
Don Kardong
http://www.cantoo.org.au/Sponsor-a-participant-.html
No comments:
Post a Comment