The longest run we have to do before race day. I know it was only 2km up on last week’s long run, but still...! A nerve-wrecking morning, without a doubt. It was raining again, but nowhere as bad as last week. I feel like a seasoned runner now that I’m not put off by the rain!
The run out over the Harbour Bridge was the easiest so far. It would want to be after the amount of times we’ve run over it! As I ran up Macquarie Street and past Hyde Park, I remarked to one of my mates, Richard, that the first time I ran up this street on the first 6km run, I couldn’t make it to the 3km turnaround! We jogged on past that very spot where I had nearly fallen over with exhaustion and pain
The run out over the Harbour Bridge was the easiest so far. It would want to be after the amount of times we’ve run over it! As I ran up Macquarie Street and past Hyde Park, I remarked to one of my mates, Richard, that the first time I ran up this street on the first 6km run, I couldn’t make it to the 3km turnaround! We jogged on past that very spot where I had nearly fallen over with exhaustion and pain
:-D
We ran down Art Gallery Road and around Mrs Macquarie’s chair AGAIN. This track is actually the final stage of the half-marathon, so it’s a good sign that I’m used to (sick of) running around it! When I get to the last few kms of the race, it will be great to have confidence in getting through the last bit! We ran around Farm Cove, around Sydney Harbour house (in the company of Cantoo founder Annie Crawford), around Circular Quay until I reached the Overseas Passenger Terminal. This was my 9km turnaround point. I had to remain focused on my goals and ignore all the other gazelles continuing on to their 10km turn around for their 20km run.
And so, back the way I came. I joined another group for this part of the run. Rob, the coach joined in for a while. I was glad - I started to really struggle on my way back around Farm Cove. I had to concentrate on my technique, which is hard when you start to feel heavy. I tried to channel a bit of Rob to do that! Copying his technique and listening to his advice on my posture and rhythm. Once I got around that seemingly endless cove, I got a spring back into my step. Up the hills again - I managed them well. I stopped for a quick cup of water outside the Art Gallery where one of the Cantoo ‘energy champions’ set up camp. I cheered up a bit when I saw Sarah coming running with white suds coming out of her knees. She hadn’t rinsed her joggers out properly and the rain was causing the suds to form. Ahhh, a good laugh is obviously all one needs to get momentum to go on!
The next few kilometres were really really hard. My knee had started to twinge and was getting quite painful. I struggled for at least 2km until I got up onto the Harbour Bridge. By this stage I was sick of this running and I wanted to be over. So Susannah (mentor) and I picked up our pace a bit and didn’t speak, just ran. Once we hit the half way mark of the bridge I decided a proper run (not job) was required! I’ve no idea where the energy or stamina came from, but I managed to finish at a great speed. I came in at 2:10 hrs! Again I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry. I found it hard to walk, or talk for that matter. But what a feeling - I had just run 18km!!
"Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools".
Napoleon
http://www.cantoo.org.au/Sponsor-a-Participant.html
No comments:
Post a Comment