Saturday, 9 April 2011

Week 9 - 14km Run!!

Needless to say, Saturday's 14km run was the longest distance I have ever completed. The route was over the dreaded Harbour Bridge, down to the Botanic Gardens, around Mrs Macquaries chair (with views of Woolloomooloo bay, still Sydney harbour waters, Kirribilli glistening across from us) along Farm Cove towards the Opera House (and back again). Those doing the 16km ran as far as the Opera House, but I turned back at the 7km turnaround point in Farm Cove. Luckily a few others at my level were happy to turn around there also.

The run out was fantastic! I ran at a pace of 6:20 minute per km. I think the company really helped. I chose to run this time with Sarah and Bec, who normally run way ahead of me. Again, I think Lindfield helped me build up my stamina and confidence! We had great chats, a few laughs and just enjoyed the experience of being in this beautiful part of Sydney at such a quiet time of the day.

I tried out Gu Chomps http://www.guenergy.com/products/gu-chomps instead of gels today. Success! They are much easier to stomach, much tastier and the consistency doesn't make me want to throw up :) One on the way out and one on the way back was all I needed for a boost to get me through the run, and more importantly back over the Harbour Bridge. Coming back in to Kirribilli, I was ecstatic. Dave was there to greet me with a hug and I was very close to tears. The relief of finishing (and in a good time) is hard to put into words. I felt like crying and laughing all at once. I couldn't believe what I'd just done, without stopping!!

Rounding the corner at Mrs Macquarie's Chair




No comments:

Post a Comment