Sunday, 1 May 2011

Week 12 - Tapering!

We were in Melbourne for a weekend so couldn't join the group on Saturday morning. But I cleverly (?) booked early flights back to Sydney so we could fit the run in on Sunday.
We're now 'tapering' which means we drop down to shorter distances so that we give our body time to recover. Yay! Because in fairness, that 18km run was quite a shock to the body. The next big run will be the race - 21km.

I don't know if it's a result of becoming a bit too cocky after doing an 18km run, or a good 5km time trial, but this 10km run turned out to be a lot harder than I expected. Dave and I set out together from our place and headed down to the harbour, along Cremorne Point and followed the Taronga Zoo route along the water. I expected it to be easy peasy seeing I had just completed such a massive run the week before, it wasn't raining and we were on a familiar route. I suppose it didn't help that my knees started to twinge with pain after about 1km...

I really really struggled with this run. The knee pain and mental pain took me by surprise. And I suppose you could say it took the spring out of my step. Thankfully Dave found it hard as well and later on I got reports that most of the team had found their Saturday run (albeit 11km) difficult too.

I sat on the couch feeling very sorry for myself afterward, with frozen sweetcorn on one knee and frozen peas on the other. The next day I found it difficult to walk up until around lunchtime so I started to worry a bit. Now is not the time to get an injury!!



"Education is the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty.
Mark Twain


http://www.cantoo.org.au/Sponsor-a-Participant.html

No comments:

Post a Comment