No running this Wednesday for me. After my knee pain at the weekend I spoke to the coach who recommended seeing a physio. The best decision ever, I believe!
It turns out there are a couple of reasons for the knee pain. I don't appear to have any muscle strength in my glutes (bum) and this means I'm overworking my quads (muscles on the front of my thigh). So they in turn become too tight and pull my knee-cap upwards, causing friction and inflammation! Now it all makes sense. When one of the coaches told me to try to run with my glutes a few weeks back I could't make the connection between my brain and my bum muscles. I didn't know how to engage them. Of course I couldn't, if they weren't there in the first place! As well as that I'm apparently very flexible around my hips and this means my quads have to work harder to keep my body rigid and strong while I'm running. I'm literally not made for running. Who would have thought....?!
Luckily I've been given some glute-strenghtening exercises and stretches for my quads. Fingers crossed that these, coupled with some rest this week will help.
It turns out there are a couple of reasons for the knee pain. I don't appear to have any muscle strength in my glutes (bum) and this means I'm overworking my quads (muscles on the front of my thigh). So they in turn become too tight and pull my knee-cap upwards, causing friction and inflammation! Now it all makes sense. When one of the coaches told me to try to run with my glutes a few weeks back I could't make the connection between my brain and my bum muscles. I didn't know how to engage them. Of course I couldn't, if they weren't there in the first place! As well as that I'm apparently very flexible around my hips and this means my quads have to work harder to keep my body rigid and strong while I'm running. I'm literally not made for running. Who would have thought....?!
Luckily I've been given some glute-strenghtening exercises and stretches for my quads. Fingers crossed that these, coupled with some rest this week will help.
No comments:
Post a Comment