We went to Melbourne for Dave's 30th birthday celebrations, which means we missed out on the Saturday group run. I was a bit relieved because it was the first weekend trying out the Kirribilli to Taronga Zoo track...which has tons of hills!
Instead, I decided that I'd do something I've always wondered about. What would it be like to run around Albert Park Lake? When we lived in Melbourne, Dave used to run around it frequently. He did tend to complain about it though, because apparently it can appear never-ending.
So, on Sunday morning, after pretty tame celebrations the night before (on my part), we set out for a run. We had stayed with our friend Louis who conveniently lives beside Albert Park. On the way out the door, Louis opened up one of his musical birthday cards which sang "Kung Fu Fighting". The song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. What a blessing. It turns out that Kung Fu Fighting is a perfect running song for me! As we're not allowed to run with iPods during training, the key is to get a tune in your head to keep your rhythm going. I really noticed the difference after geting a rhythm going. It was a beautiful day, and this song had really put me in the mood for a run.
I can understand why Dave and some other friends complain about running around the lake. As pretty as the setting for the Melbourne Grand Prix is, the lake can be very deceiving. It does seem never-ending. If I had to guess, I'd estimate that it was 4km around. Turns out it's 5km in length. A nice short distance compared to what the gang in Sydney had done this weekend. I was still glad I made the effort to go out.
Luckily I had my fantastic photographer (Dave) with me. 5km is nothing to him, so he had no problem running ahead to get some good action shots!
"He who sings scares away his woes."
Cervantes
http://www.cantoo.org.au/Sponsor-a-Participant.html
No comments:
Post a Comment