Saturday, 26 March 2011

Week 7 - Saturday run

This week's long run is still based on time rather than distance. So either run 14km or just run for 80 minutes. This was my first time running the Kirribilli to Taronga Zoo  track - because we had luckily been away the last couple of times the group had run it. They all seemed so comfortable with the hills! Some of the hills from Kirribilli towards Cremorne Point Reserve are shockers. I know I usually drop the car into third gear to get up them. Again the trick was to keep chatting and stay distracted. Taking the hills slowly, little by little. I decided to take the attitude that uphill meant downhill. Simple as that. For every struggle upwards, there was going to be relief at some stage on the downward journey. Unfortunately, the way out was mostly uphill so the big downhills weren't enjoyed until the journey homewards - over 7km later!




The scenery around this area of Sydney is really amazing. It's not a tourist region and almost a hidden secret, enjoyed only by the locals. Small coves with yachts dotted along the way and bushland that would make you think you were miles away from the city. I actually enjoyed most of the run on the way out because I had good company.

I didn't make the 7km turn-around point in 40 minutes. Unfortunately a stitch kicked in about 1km from the turn-around point. I couldn't make it up the last hill - and ended up walking. I was so frustrated with myself. I turned around in the hope that starting off on the downhill would make it go away. It didn't, and it must have last for another 10 minutes. It really messed with my head - so many negative thoughts started sneaking in and running was agony all over again.

My mentor Susannah picked me up, told Dave to run ahead at his own pace, and kept me company the whole way back. Thankfully, breathing through my nose and out through my mouth seemed to be the cure. It was reassuring when I finally got rid of it, because I knew that if it happened on race day that I'd be able to get through it. As expected, most of the return journey was far easier and when it came to a couple of hills at the end, I had the confidence to face them. Running to the top of a hill is the best feeling in the world. Such a sense of achievement! Just like a car, drop to a lower gear and it's possible :-)

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

http://www.cantoo.org.au/Sponsor-a-Participant.html










No comments:

Post a Comment