Saturday, 12 March 2011

Week 5 - Saturday run

We took a whole new route today. Across the Harbour Bridge again (which I'm beginning to hate), but this time we came down the stairs, under the bridge, through Observatory Park and across towards Darling Harbour. The scenery up there was amazing. We then (walked) down tons of steps onto Hickson Road and ran along the harbour, under the bridge, passing the Opera House. It was such a beautiful morning and it was one of those moments when I thanked myself for getting out of bed so early to see Sydney Harbour like this. The water glistened and the Opera House seemed to glisten. We ran along the rocks, into Circular Quay. I think I ran 9km in total. The goal was to complete 10km, but when I met Sarah on her way back down Pitt Street, it seemed like a good enough time to turn around.

Going back was a bit harder, as usual. The tons of steps back up to Observatory Park killed my legs. There was only about another 500m of recovery before we were back up onto the Harbour Bridge for more pain. Getting to the middle of the bridge is the biggest struggle. After the middle, it starts into a slight decline. Until then, it's all a struggle. It's a mental struggle more than anything else. The only way through it is to pick goals along the way and break it up into smaller, more manageable parts. Again, Dave kept me company the whole way through it and his rambling distracted me from the demons in my head.

For years to come, whenever I see pictures of that damned bridge, I'm going to remember these mornings! The struggle to get across and the relief towards the end is etched in my mind.

"Be like a postage stamp - stick to one thing until you get there." 
Josh Billings


http://www.cantoo.org.au/Sponsor-a-Participant.html

No comments:

Post a Comment