Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Week 7 - Wednesday Time Trial

Our second 5km time trial. Keeping in mind my last 5km record was 40:28,  I was confident that I could do a bit better than this after all the training I had done. It's still horrible running around the track for this distance. 5km is twelve and a half laps of the athletic field. It's also hard being at the back of the pack for these long distances on the track because I get lapped so many times by the faster people in the group - like Dave! I tried to keep my blinkers on and ignore the rest of them - sticking to my own pace.

The last two laps were a huge struggle. Probably because most of the group had already finished their 5km and I had to keep going! As soon as I knew I only had one lap to go, I tried to pick up the pace. I focused on the person in front of me and did my best to catch up with her. I didn't catch her, but it definitely kept me focused. My new record for 5km was 33:28. Over 7 minutes faster and a 18% improvement on my last time trial - 5 weeks earlier. More importantly, I didn't stop to walk this time.

As much as I hated having to do it, it was just the encouragement I needed. I could clearly see how far I had come. The facts were there! Cantoo training had worked for me :-)



"The only person you should ever compete with is yourself. You can't hope for a fairer match."
Todd Ruthman


http://www.cantoo.org.au/Sponsor-a-Participant.html

No comments:

Post a Comment